Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake


Double Chocolate Butter Gooey Cake


Ok, like you all are so aware by now, I don't bake. If I want sweets, I buy cakes or buy the already prepared cookie dough. If I do bake, I try to do the fake-outs or the easiest route I can find. The end of the year, people are expected to put their best foot forward in the kitchen. If you are known for your cooking, desserts are included in this "expectation." Plus, my daughter and husband adore sweets. So, for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I try to make the exception to my store-bought chagrin and give them something more homemade.

This year, I saw The Food Network post a Facebook status about Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake. I also saw the recipe had 2,022 ratings and it was at a 5 star rating! That is A LOT of people who rated this recipe. I don't see many recipes around the web with that many ratings. It was still at 5 stars, too! This was my light at the end of my sleepless-apprehensive-intimidated-"What am I going to bake this year?"-stress tunnel! I can do this. I will do this. I clicked on the link and it was music to my eyes. I thought, "I CAN soooo rock this out and this is going to be the superstar dessert this year! Forget plain, ol' pumpkin pie! Anything with cream cheese is frickin' AHH-MAZING!" So, yeah, I was the Lady GaGa of desserts this Thanksgiving. Whipped up my own cinnamon whipped cream and Paula Deen saved me again. The recipe has butter in the title. Paula Deen. Butter. Heaven.

There are several variations to this recipe to stay with you all year. Peanut Butter Chocolate Gooey Cake...Double Chocolate Gooey Cake...Pineapple Gooey Cake...Banana Gooey Cake...

So, go. Go right now. Get the car keys, scratch off the cake or pie recipe you already have on your menu to-do-list for Christmas and get these ingredients. Do it. I promise. You must. GOOOO already!!!

My college-aged step son came home last weekend and I, of course, make him a good homecooked meal or two. His favorite candy is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, so what did I make him? Yep. The Chocolate Peanut Butter version. Really tasty! Here's the peanut butter version:



The bottom layer taste like a brownie or a blondie, depending on which variation you are making. The top layers are nice and moist, flavorful, definitely gooey, and smooth & creamy!

Let me know what you think when you make this. Don't ever make a pumpkin pie again. Give this recipe plenty of time to cool down. It takes awhile to cool off. I make these around 2 p.m. to serve for dinner. Or make day before and warm pieces in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving. Here is the double chocolate variety in my oven. About halfway done. It does rise up a lot. Make sure you use the pan suggested. My baking dish is a 13x9, but it has rounded edges which takes out some area compared to a square 13x9. I didn't take pictures of the Pumpkin version I made. I wish I did, though, so you could see the differences.



Recipe can be found HERE. Look for links to variations at the bottom of the recipe.

3 comments:

MarcyB said...

Definitely trying this for our next church potluck! Thanks Shan!

MarcyB said...

Definitely trying this for our next church potluck! Thanks Shan!

Shannon D. Gregory said...

You MUST. I tell you. Let me know, here, how it goes!!!