Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Banana Pudding w/ a Strawberry Shortcake Round Two


Remember: I am not a baker. I am a cook. I do not have that measuring capability. But, I love to share my favorite sweet recipes that I have found with y'all!



Have you made this banana pudding yet? Banana Pudding IV Well, you should. I cannot stand fake banana flavors...like that instant banana pudding. Or those candy banana runts in the neon yellow banana shape. Oh, they taste nothing like a banana. So, I completely enjoy this version of banana pudding because it is sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, instant vanilla pudding, and whipped cream topping. Oh, yes sir. The only "banana flavor" is just the, well, bananas! The pudding part tastes more like a pastry cream. I also substitute Pepperidge Farm's Chessmen Cookies for the vanilla wafers when it's a true splurge. It just gives it a richer, deeper flavor on the crust level(s). My daughter, Autumn Rose, composed this herself. I just sliced the bananas for her!

8 oz. package of cream cheese
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
5 oz. package of instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 oz. container of whipped topping (thawed)
4 sliced bananas
Juice of 1/2 a lemon (to toss banana slices in before using. Stops them from turning brown!)
1/2 package of vanilla wafers (or really shake them up with using Pepperidge Farm's Chessmen cookies)

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in condensed milk, pudding mix, cold milk and vanilla until smooth. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping. Don't worry here. It will still be under-thickened. Once it sits in the fridge a bit, it will really thicken up. Go ahead and use it like it is.



Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch dish with vanilla wafers. Arrange sliced bananas evenly over wafers. Don't forget to toss your banana slices in lemon juice!



Spread with pudding mixture. Topped with remaining whipped topping and chill. (I do several layers in a smaller, deeper dish and then just have the last layer as the pudding and then top that with crushed cookies. I think my daughter was enjoying crushing these cookies here!)





So, I always have extra filling. I didn't want that goodness to go to waste, so I do a round two recipe with the filling in a strawberry shortcake. But, you can use this strawberry sauce for anything...or just by itself!



I cut the leftover filling with some heavy cream to thin it out a bit.



Take half of your strawberries (always best to use the under-ripened ones here) and slice them up. Toss with 3 tablespoons of white sugar and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Yes, balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I just splash straight balsamic on my strawberries and top with fresh whipped cream. Love it! But, let's sweeten it up a tad here.



Bring mixture to a boil on the stove and let simmer until nice and thick (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.



Slice some pound cake or angel food cake and top with your filling cream. Top with the cooled balsamic strawberries and then top off with sliced fresh strawberries. There ya go. Two desserts for the price of one! Get down and southern dirty, y'all!

NEW! Print this recipe! Click here for a printable version: Banana Pudding and Strawberry Sauce

No comments: