Wednesday, February 15, 2012

C'est Le Vin -- Restaurant Review





C'est Le Vin, simply translated to "it is the wine" or "this is the wine," located in the historic Shockoe Bottom of Richmond, Virginia, is preparing for a few changes, folks. I got the opportunity to preview those changes on Friday, February 10, 2012 at their Valentine's Day prequel. They are changing over to a more tapas-based menu with the help of their consulting chef, Jannequin Bennett. I really, really enjoyed my time at C'est Le Vin, not only for the food, but for its cute little boutique-style wine shop/art gallery/restaurant. I like the fact that they are set up for whatever mood you may be wearing that day. If you want to sit at a table and consult with a business partner and need a table to spread your paperwork out, you can do that. If you want to plop your butt down on a couch with your two best girlfriends to discuss an upcoming wedding or maybe even a divorce (?), you can do that, too! If you want to pull up a bar-stool-type-seat and meet that woman who you have been exchanging emails with for a month through match.com, you can. If you want a window seat because you and your wife are celebrating that twenty-year anniversary, it is there! It's great! The staff was wonderful, as well. They were very attentive. They seemed comfortable. When a staff seems comfortable, it usually means they are. That only means it is probably a great place to work, especially when you are in the restaurant business. Think about it. When you have come across a high-stressed waitstaff, it affects your mood at your meal, as well. When the staff is comfortable and happy, you are comfortable and happy. I was definitely comfortable...and happy!

Window Seat -- See the Farmer's Market?


Window Seat




So, we had four different wine tasting stations. I like stations. It makes it easier to go at your own pace, whether that is fast or slow. They chose some really good wines to go with the food that night. I was impressed. I was impressed with the wine bottle prices, as well. Very reasonable! I was also really dazzled with the food, my friends. Everything was spot-on. They have not officially changed their menu on their website yet, but I can tell you what I sampled!

First, I apologize for not taking pictures of the food. I wasn't there to stop the server to snap with my blackberry. Check out www.richmond.com's slideshow for food pics HERE. Each wine tasting station had their olives with lemon & orange and their spiced almonds available. These would be considered their "snacks" part of the menu. As for their soup sampling, we enjoyed the beet gazpacho with a goat cheese mousse and celery. This was served chilled. I am not a fan of beets, but I was a fan of this! The color was an absolute vibrant magenta. Gorgeous. Their Bacalao salad is salt cod with peppers, tomatoes, olives and parsley. This salt cod was divine. I had some salt cod about two weeks prior at another, unmentioned restaurant and it was some of the worst restaurant food I had ever had, so I was skeptical when I heard this was going to be served. This was tender and had just enough saltiness to know it was salt cod, but was not so overpowering that you puckered. Perfect! We also sampled poquillo peppers with herbs and pinenuts. This was served on a small crostini, but I am not sure if this is how it is exactly served for the full menu tapa. It was just a small amount of sweet heat. When they started preparing the shrimp with garlic sauce, the aromas that came out of that kitchen were like o.m.g. Anyone who consumes food, loves the smell of garlic cooking away and I just could not wait! The shrimp was tender and the garlic butter sauce that was served on top was just right. Just enough garlic and just enough richness from the butter to make you look around for more. We also sampled a pork belly that was served over a white bean puree. I kept overhearing people think it was mashed potatoes, so the seasoning was comforting!

For dessert, a goat cheese cheesecake! Ummm, my adoration for goat cheese is beyond belief. Add that to a cheesecake and I am in orgasmic heaven!! They also served a tres leche cake sample.



Everything was great, y'all. I can't think of a better way to gab over a bottle of wine. And you know there are just certain foods and certain places that SCREAM a bottle of wine. C'est Le Vin is this place. Tapas are perfect for a bottle of wine. So is Shockoe. What a conversational piece in itself.

Check them out. They also do "Wine Down Fridays" on the 1st and 3rd Fridays. 8-10 pm. Very excited to visit again!

2 comments:

KENDRA BAILEY MORRIS said...

Looking forward to checking this place out. Thanks for the "review" ;) Jannequin is a really great chef and an all around nice lady, too.

Kendra

Shannon D. Gregory said...

Yes. It was great! I wonder what else I can call these things...gotta come up with another name. I am not a "reviewer." I'll work on that. ;)