Friday, February 10, 2012

B.L.T Deviled Eggs


I prepare deviled eggs a lot of different ways. I'll have to share those with you now, as I am back into the entertaining saddle again. Starting this blog in August, and having an accident in October, I haven't produced many entertaining-recipe-sharing-moments! I have to keep reminding myself of this, so if I remind you of this too, I hope you understand. We have a long way to go together. And we have a long time to share together.

Do you fancy these mouth-popping, darling treats? What creative flavor(s) have you eaten before? Share with me! I am always looking for new egg ideas! Additionally, I sometimes do an assortment of eggs to take to a party or to serve at mine. That goes over real well, folks! Try it.



So, everyone loves a BLT from time-to-time. I have mentioned before that I am not a tomato fan unless it is diced up and all the goo is gone. I can do diced, goo-less tomatoes in tacos. I can even do small chunks of tomatoes in some soups/chilis, as long as they are cooked well and not too big. So, I leave the tomato off a few for myself (as seen in the first picture). Like I always try to convey, cooking should be adapted to your tastes. Recipes are just a guide, and you should always adapt for you and/or the people you choose to prepare food for.

Get your bacon going on the stove. This doesn't take more than 4 pieces of bacon here. I only use thick cut bacon, but don't let your bacon get too brown or let your grease burn. Take two tablespoons of the bacon grease and set aside in a small bowl to cool while you do your eggs. After your bacon pieces have drained on a paper towel-lined plate, you can crumble the bacon into pieces.

Next, boil your eggs. And, yes, I always do extra, depending on how many I am making, especially if it's for "show." One/some always get(s) messed up in the peeling process. Plus, you always wanna try the product as a whole, right? Adding the white to the mix can change the way the egg tastes. So, just make 1-3 extra eggs, okay? I start my eggs in cold water and bring up to a boil. As soon as it boils, I cover and turn off the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, without removing the lid. Make sure you are watching closely and do not let the eggs boil around in the water. That will cause premature cracks, which turns into leaks! Eeek! Once the 10 minutes are up, empty the hot water and add cold water to the pot. Let eggs sit only as long as it takes for you to comfortably handle them. They peel better while still warm. Crack on the counter and roll the egg with your palm along the counter until it is cracked all around. Start peeling a little piece off, making sure to get under that membrane. Once you have started the peel, dunk the egg back in the cool water and then proceed to peel. Once completely peeled, rinse with cool water and place on a clean towel to drain while you continue to peel the rest.

Slice the eggs in half and put the yellows in a bowl. For 12 eggs, I use about 1.5 tablespoons of the reserved bacon grease. For 6 eggs, 1/2-3/4 tablespoon of grease will do. Take a fork and break up all the cooked yellow yolks into the bacon grease.























Make sure all the yolks are broken up good and there are no major lumps. Balls, formed by the bacon grease, are okay, but you don't want a lot of yolk lumps.






















Now, add your mayo, dry mustard, onion powder, vinegar, sugar, and salt & pepper. Mix well and then start adding your bacon bits. This is completely up to your tastes!
























You can choose to use a large Ziploc bag here as a pastry bag and pipe your egg mixture back into the whites, or you can just spoon it back in. For the BLTs, I just spoon it because the chunks of bacon give me a fit coming through the pastry bag hole. Plus, you have lettuce and tomato to go on top to cover any ugliness!

Top with shredded lettuce (the greener the prettier AND better for you) and then top with a slice of a cherry tomato. Serve cold. They made it to my Super Bowl table, next to the Pimento Cheese and Onion Dip!























Recipe Card: (Half this recipe if you need to!)

12 hard boiled eggs, halved
4 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings/grease
3-4 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2-3 teaspoons white vinegar (start with 2, add more if you like)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
salt and pepper to taste

No comments: