Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pasture -- Restaurant Review


So, as I say on my Review Page, I will only comment on my most stellar dining experiences, this one I have struggled with what to do. Therefore, I am going to keep this short and sweet. The food is why I am sitting here, typing right now. The food was outstanding. That is all I can comment on at this time. My service was not up-to-par, at all. Jason Alley, Chef of Comfort and Pasture, is extremely talented. I found that to be true when I visited February 11, 2012. Wonder if his talent in the kitchen could have been translated to the service at my table that night. ;)

Enough on that. He asked me to email him my story. I did. I have yet to hear anything back. So, that brings me to being accessible to the public. Pasture's website is not up-and-running yet. They do not update Facebook or Twitter very often, either. So how does the public relate here? I am not sure why they are not updating these "free" social networking outlets when their pay-to-use website is not available. I was asked to email my story. I did. I have not heard as much as a "Thank you for your feedback." Odd to me, but the food holds its own.

That night we ordered quite a few of the "small plates." Now, do not think you are going to get a full-sized entree here. It is a Southern small plates concept. I think it works well. I love small plates/tapas. I have raved about that concept before. The menu is separated into three parts; Snacks, Cold and Hot sections. Here's what we indulged in...

Deviled eggs with truffle and salmon roe. Damn! I could never make an egg like that. Absolutely sexy. Can an egg be sexy? Sure it can. Okay, I can start dinner off like this! We then enjoyed barcat oysters, fried so tenderly and cooked just enough. They were served with a celery root slaw. Take a bite of both, and you know this is gonna be good! Next was the braised beef brisket (hello! Gotta do it. Always.) with grits and diced turnips. The brisket was delicately tender and flavorful. Do not confuse this with the regular Texas brisket. It has a different vision, but that vision was spot-on. Upon reading up on Pasture and getting a couple of suggestions, the brussel sprouts kept coming up. So, we ordered them. Eh, they were good. Not as I expected with all the reviews. I felt they could definitely be done in a home kitchen. The crunch of the pecans was perfect with them, though. So, yes, we did the pork belly, too. Yum. The black vinegar was amazing with it. A perfect balance with the apple turnip puree. I finished with the steak tartare with jalapeno, chili ketchup and a beautiful quail egg yolk on top. Stunning. I loved the green onion and the slight spice that it was mixed with. My husband wasn't a fan, but it may have been too sophisticated for him.

Cocktails were average, and I tried a few. But the "Pulaksi" whiskey shot with a pickle juice chaser was totally distinctive! Place was crowded and loud, but it's a new, hip restaurant on a Saturday night. Duh. No pictures. Just commenting on the food. That's it. It was damn good food for me to write this. Going to have to go again and maybe I will update this. For now, don't send your mama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're either from Dallas or Alamo Heights. Don't be so self-important.

Shannon D. Gregory said...

Ha! Self-important. I like that!