Friday, August 30, 2013

Perfectamente Hard-Boiled Eggs



















"Egg-cellent" fool-proof hard-boiled eggs every time!

Sorry...I had to use the "egg-cellent" insinuation. Forgive me.

Okay, so how many of you have been trying to perfect the hard-boiled method when it comes to eggs? I know people are eating a lot of 'em, 'cause I swear I gagged almost every morning, working in a large mortgage office recently. I think those things should be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home instead of bringing them into the office for us all to smell your sulphur scent for hours, but obviously that's just me. Those who know me know that I am etiquette's biggest critic. Or should that be 'egg-tiquette?' OK, OK, Sorry. Had to.

Let's get boiling! Fill your pot with COLD water and add your eggs. This allows your eggs to all come up to temp consistently. Put your burner on high and let the water come to a boil. I don't cover my pot at this stage. You want to use a pot that has plenty of room for the amount of eggs you are cooking. I used a regular sized pot for the 3 eggs I prepared for two egg salad sandwiches. If you are doing, let's say, deviled eggs and are preparing lots of them, use your big pasta pot. If you over-crowd your pot, when the water comes to a boil, your eggs will knock against each other, breaking the shells and you will end up with whites all poached in your water.

Once your water comes to a good boil, cover your pot and remove from the heat. Let the eggs sit for 10 minutes, covered. After 10 minutes, use a spoon to keep your eggs in your pot and drain the hot water. Then, add COLD water to the pot, drain again and repeat with cold water, but this time, let the eggs sit in the cold water for 10 minutes. I do two rounds of cold water because the first round of cold water gets pretty lukewarm due to the pot being extremely hot.

After a 10 minute rest in the cold water, just take the eggs out of the water, but don't drain yet. Crack an egg on all sides gently on the counter.

















Then, you're going to roll the egg across the counter under the palm of your hand.
















Drop it back into the pot of cold water and work on the next egg the same way until all eggs have been cracked, rolled and placed back in the water.






















I place them back in the water after the rolling stage because I have found that the water gets up under the cracked shell and loosens it a little for peeling.

Okay, now you can start peeling and the shell should just come off in strips. Make sure that the first "pick" of the shell gets up under that thin, clear film that lies between the shell and the flesh.


















You should get flawless, peeled eggs, with no gashes in the whites!














And check out the inner beauty on these things! Gorgeous!


















Precisely cooked hard-boiled eggs that are peeled to perfection!

(I have found that peeling lukewarm eggs is far easier than peeling cold eggs. Make sure you peel after the 10 minute rest in the cold water, then store in an airtight container in your fridge. Don't try to peel eggs after being in your fridge. You'll get dents and gashes.)


No comments: