Friday, August 26, 2011

Natural Disaster(s)

Photo courtesy of www.weather.com

Well, folks, I am in Richmond, Virginia, and as you may have heard, Virginia has had an eventful week.  It started with the 5.8 Earthquake that epicentered about 45 minutes from us.  This also resulted in several aftershocks (the 2 biggest were 4.2 and 4.5).  We also are about to experience a Hurricane.  Good ol' Irene.  So, I am going through my house and preparing for power outages.  But, that means what to "cook" without power.  I refilled our propane tank last night.  We have a gas grill and a turkey fryer (Of course I do.  Fried turkey for Thanksgiving!  Like there's any other way!).  If we lose power for any length of time, we'll have to move food to a cooler and hope for the best.  I have made casserole-type dishes that we can heat up in a pot on the gas flame if we need to.  I am also making a chicken vegetable soup today.  (Wait until winter time.  You may rename me "Soup Nazi")

What are your plans for food for disasters?  For those in the wake of the storm, what have you stocked up on?  How do you plan on cooking if you are without power for several days?  Do you have a make-shift campground kitchen in your house?

Tell me your ideas.  Tell me how you go about things.  Sharing ideas always opens up new things for others!


1 comment:

Shannon D. Gregory said...

I have also filled my freezer with all different sizes of ziploc bags, filled with water. Been emptying my ice machine since Thursday, as well. This will come in handy for my cooler.